Saturday 19 November 2011

SUPER AWESOME MEGA POST FOR ALL MY CLASSES (excluding Art History)

This past week was really busy, but I got through it. I'll go through each class in order since i had something due.

Painting

I honestly thought I took pictures of my egg tempera painting. Turns out, I didn't. I shall post a picture as soon as I get it back. In the meantime here's one of two boards we made to practice egg tempera on. I'll explain more next time and my opinions about egg tempera.

Although it was just to play around with egg tempera, I started to enjoy doodling on the board. I even began to balance out the composition and colour throughout; I was in the zone. I have to say that I like it, and it is probably my first abstract piece. 

Life Drawing

This one, along with another, was the one I handed in for those gestures. I'm not posting the other one because it's not that well done compared to this one and the one I posted last time. I handed it in because it had a face which my teacher seems to want unlike the previous one.

This project was pretty cool. I was nervous to start it, scared that I might mess up. Unfortunately I did.  3/5 of those drawings are great. After I drew the biggest one, I barely had any space hence why there's that awful looking one next to it. But my favourite has to the the far left one.

We also handed in our sketchbook with 10 drawings of interiors with minimum 5 people. Since that's a lot of drawings, I'll save those for another post.

2D

For 2D we had to design a billboard that was for a political issue. My first idea was the perfect one, everything I thought of after that was mediocre. Compared to the roughs we presented the week before, the text was the only thing that changed, I just added some space between each character.

Marco River a Billboard

I would just like to add, for critique, the class placed the billboards from the strongest to the weakest design. Mine was put first. I'm very proud of how it turned out and I'm glad that everyone loved it.

Also, for this week we learned about type contrast and did a quick in-class activity using random words given to us. We weren't supposed to understand them so that we can focus on the different kinds of type contrast.
Marco River A Contrasts
Second page here ^

3D


For 3D we take something from nature and use aspects of its features to create a container. I brainstormed ideas from turtle shell patterns to create a bowl, to galaxies and comets as another bowl and ashtray. I settled for a tornado-vase-ish thing. My initial ideas had very elegant curves, as I started to go for something geometric my teacher helped improve my idea. Here's what I ended up with:



Made out of foamcore, it consists of 28 squares. A lot of people liked it when we did critique my teacher loved the design choices I made along the way like beating up the edges and crumpling them up to give it a rough look which conveyed the destructive nature of tornadoes. It was meant to be taller and the sides originally went out more. But balance was an issue so the direction it points out aren't as exaggerated. Overall, I'm satisfied with it and I'm glad it turned out better than I thought it would. Here are some WIP pics.



Digital Media


For digital media we started Illustrator and had to either create a map of our school but put a unique twist on it, or a cross section diagram of anything. Most people had regular maps but for different situations. One person had a map about perfect places to go during a zombie apocalypse, another had the best places to sleep in Sheridan. For mine, I decided to go for an old style, Middle-Earth-esque map.
Kingdom of Sheridan
Let's just say I outdid myself and exceeded expectations. It turned out better than I had imagined. Each tree was individually drawn, unfortunately with a mouse. I wish I had a tablet, it hurt my hand afterwards. Once again, during critique, people were amazed and so was my awesome nerd of a teacher. The only issue was some words overlapped some lines (A wing & AA wing) which made it slightly difficult to read, but that was just a minor problem. My map contradicted most of the advice he gave to others, but because of my design it was acceptable (ex. Angled words). I got a ton of compliments and at the end my teacher said, "Other than that I have nothing else to say on how you can improve." Apparently I was the first person to do a map like this. I loved how it turned out so well, I printed two copies. One to hand in, the other for myself.

Sketchbook 

A friend of mine had a cartoon tiger he showed me that was in a frontal view, I told him it was flat looking. Without telling him, I started to draw his character in 3/4 view with my own style. Hilarity ensued. The drawing turned out pretty awesome though.

My attempt at a head rotation for my character. Still early, and the front needs a fixing. The back is currently uninteresting, hence why I didn't draw it. I just need to add something more to his head. Maybe hair?

Bored the other night and had the idea of a bird with features that vaguely resembled tribal headgear. The wing area gets a little flat looking, but I had fun drawing entirely from my imagination. It was also to play around with some shapes I found interesting.

Well, that was a lot to go through. I'll try to update soon to avoid another "SUPER AWESOME MEGA POST".

1 comment:

  1. Marco! Me so proud of yuuuu! Every new post is like a mile ahead of the previous one. You are clearly working your ass off and I am so confident it will pay off for you next year! Loving these new posts, your design stuff is especially very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete